Monday, March 8, 2010

Family Dinner

My most favorite time of the day is dinner time. It is the time that Jake, Samantha, Cameron and I get to sit, talk and eat. From the very beginning when it was just Jake and I we made it a goal to eat dinner together at the table with no TV and no phones. I love that we have kept that goal going and we eat dinner around the table all four of us at least 5 nights a week. Family dinner is a time that you can truly push the world out of your life and focus on just the important things, like when Samantha tells us that her kitty ran away, or that she loves her daddy very much, or that Cameron is her favorite brother, ever. I love as Samantha and Cameron are getting older that it is not longer just Jake and I having the conversation. Between Samantha and Cameron, Jake and I can barely get a word in, and I would have it no other way. Tonight at dinner Jake broke a glass, I dropped the nesquik powder and Samantha and Cameron spilled a bag of rice, but it was at those moments that as a family we grew closer together. And as our children grow up and become older they will know that dinner time is family time.

3 comments:

The Perks of Life! said...

Cute post! Mom was always so good about doing the same thing. Dinner was always my favorite part of the day growing up. Now that I'm older I realize sitting down at the table with no other distractions is a rare thing for most families, but it is definitely something I look forward to with Caleb and something we will continue on with. 8 more days!!!

Coil Fam said...

I love it. Family dinner is one of my most favorite memories. I knew that if I felt like I needed to pull the family together for a little bonding, I could just get the word out I was making fried chicken with cream gravy and you would all be here, ON TIME. I know this has been talked about by our church leaders as well. You can't go wrong with family dinner. What's for dinner isn't nearly as important as who's there for dinner.

Erin said...

I love that special bonding time at dinner, and the few chaotic moments in between. Its what life is all about, thanks for the reminder! Love you!